Just one quarter-turn rotation is required to stop or start fluids flowing with a flanged butterfly valve. No wonder then these valves are so commonly used for various pipelines. Butterfly valves have flanges (typically those round objects that connect pipes together or with other items) on the inlet and outflow faces by design. They may be tiny in size, or manufactured with a huge diameter; they are generally lightweight. Read More…
Butterfly Valves & Controls, Inc.Grapevine, TX | 817-421-5343
Butterfly Valves & Controls, Inc. has been a premier supplier of quality butterfly control valves and other related industrial components for 25 years. We carry only the best parts sourced from world-class butterfly valve manufacturers. Extended service life and safe operation are at the core of every valve manufactured/assembled. Our catalog includes a large selection of valves, actuators, controls, positioners, and more.$$$
Cipriani Harrison Valves CorpRancho Santa Margarita, CA | 949-589-3978
Cipriani Harrison Valves Corp designs stainless steel valves, tank top fittings, flow devices, and pipeline components for the beverage, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical industries. We have put over 4 decades of expertise into building world-renowned, ISO-certified, top-quality products.$$$
CR-TEC EngineeringMadison, CT | 203-318-9500
CR-TEC Engineering is a supplier of a broad range of valve products for fluid handling. Our specialty is automated valves using pneumatic or electric actuators. However, we also supply any of our valves in manually operated versions, with hand levers or hand wheel gearboxes. We are capable of assisting our customers with system design recommendations and will help in the valve selection process.$$$
Lumaco Sanitary ValvesHackensack, NJ | 800-735-8258
For over 40 years, Lumaco has been manufacturing sanitary valves, ball valves, steam valves, high pressure valves, stainless steel valves, brass valves and actuated valves. We serve a range of industries, including pharmaceutical, cosmetics and food, and offer shipping within 24 hours.$$$
Valve Solutions, Inc.Alpharetta, GA | 770-740-0800
When it comes to butterfly valves, you don’t need to look anywhere but here! We have been producing excellent quality valves since we first opened our doors. All of our products are put through extensive rigorous testing before leaving our state of the art facility to further ensure 100% quality assurance! Allow us to show you the difference when you work with true professionals! Contact us via telephone or email or check out our website today!$$$
Flanged butterfly valves are more affordable and provide more usable space when compared to other varieties of valves. Their operating process is straightforward, and they require little labor to open and close.
How a Flanged Butterfly Valve Operates
A flanged butterfly valve is a quarter-turn valve. A quarter turn (900) of the hand lever or hand wheel in the anticlockwise direction opens a flanged butterfly valve. The valve disc receives this rotating motion from the handwheel. As a result, the valve disc must stay parallel to the pipe in order to make a clear passage for the fluid to move.
The handwheel is then turned for a quarter turn in the opposite (clockwise) direction from how it was turned to open the flanged butterfly valve. The disc is compelled to turn in the opposite direction as a result, aligning itself parallel to the pipe. This action prevents any fluid from passing through the valve. The handwheel must be turned just enough, however, such that the angle is less than 90 degrees in order to use this valve for throttling or some fluid can possibly pass through the valve. Manufacturers of flanged butterfly valves advise against using this type of valve for throttling purposes unless the pressure drop will be so minimal as not to obstruct the flow of fluid to its intended location.
Types of Flanged Butterfly Valves
Manual Flanged Butterfly Valves
A manual flanged butterfly valve is a handwheel- or hand-lever-operated flanged butterfly valve. These valves are created by various producers and often get incorporated as part of a gear system. The handwheel is intended to be parallel to the stem (the shaft that transmits the rotary force applied to the handwheel to the disc) in a horizontal direction. As a result, such gear systems which incorporate flanged butterfly valves are able to change torque along their horizontal axis so that it might be transferred along the vertical axis.
Flanged Butterfly Valves with Actuators
This group of flanged butterfly valves uses an actuator (a device that converts energy and signals into movement) to open and close them. Manufacturers of flanged butterfly valves create these valves with remote- control functionality and the ability to choose when to open and close the fluid flow.
Flanged Butterfly Valves Advantages
- Both manual and automatic operation are possible with these valves.
- Comparatively speaking to gate valves, check valves, and globe valves, flanged butterfly valves are compact and light in weight.
- They have a small and straightforward design.
- Depending on the valve seat material (which helps provide airtightness), these valves can be used in high-pressure and high-temperature applications.
- Butterfly valves with flanges don't leak fluid.
- Unlike other larger-sized valves, they can be fitted in locations with little space.
- These valves may be utilized in applications that shut off and throttle fluid flow.
- These valves work by simply turning their operating handle a quarter turn, which speeds up their processes.
- Flanged butterfly valves are simple to set up, maintain, and fix.
Flanged Butterfly Valve Drawbacks
- When compared to other valves, such as ball valves, these valves have poor sealing characteristics.
- Flanged butterfly valves are only appropriate for use in throttling applications if the pressure drop is minimal.
- When the valve is open, the valve disc is still in the fluid path which increases the likelihood of a pressure drop and, consequently, lower efficiency.
- Fixing damaged flanged butterfly valves can be difficult, resulting in further issues including that the valve may become difficult to use, objects inside the valve may become clogged requiring more time and effort to open the valve to remove debris, and damaged components could lead to interior corrosion.
Uses for Flanged Butterfly Valves
Because of their ease of operation, ability to prevent leakage, variety of sizes, and other beneficial features, flanged butterfly valves are utilized in the following settings:
- Flanged butterfly valves are found in steam power plants.
- They are employed in mining operations.
- Flanged butterfly valves are utilized in food and beverage processing operations because they are simple to clean.
- Since they can be cleaned to improve high levels of sanitation, these valves are also employed in the production of medicinal items.
- They are used in both wastewater treatment and municipal water delivery.
- They serve as important components of fire-safety systems.
- They are employed in the production of pulp and paper.
- Flanged butterfly valves are utilized in the processing of petroleum products.
- Various chemicals are produced with the help of flanged butterfly valves.
- HVAC systems employ stainless steel butterfly valves.
Choosing the Correct Flanged Butterfly Valves Company
To make sure you have the most productive outcome when purchasing Flanged Butterfly Valves from a Flanged Butterfly Valves Manufacturer, it is important to compare at least 4 or 5 Companies using our Flanged Butterfly Valves directory. Each Flanged Butterfly Valves Manufacturer has a business profile page that highlights their areas of experience and capabilities and a contact form to directly communicate with the manufacturer for more information or request a quote. Review each Flanged Butterfly Valves company website using our proprietary website previewer to get an idea of what each business specializes in, and then use our simple RFQ form to contact multiple Flanged Butterfly Valves businesses with the same quote.